Wednesday 13 February 2013

Coincidences can be spooky, while remaining just coincidences.


Let me say that I make no judgment at all of Pope Benedict's decision to abdicate.  Church law allows the Pope to do so. He prayed.  He thought deeply about it.  He gave pointed hints, judging by his particular attention to Pope Celestine V in 2009 and 2010.  Finally, he decided.  Goodness, we shall miss him!  God bless and inspire the one who will follow him.

Here is a funny little story of what happened to me on the evening of that staggering day.  I took up my Bible to read a chapter of the New Testament, as I do every day.  There is no plan or selection to it: I plod along, taking each chapter as it comes.

It happened to be Chapter 14 of St Matthew's Gospel, in which I read:
Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus; but when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me."  Jesus immediately reached out His hand and caught him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.

No comments: