Friday 4 January 2013

Meditating on the Glorious Mysteries

The final set of points for meditation.  I remember one of my teachers comparing the Joyful and Glorious Mysteries.  She said that whereas each of the Joyful Mysteries had its dark side, the spirit of the Glorious Mysteries was one of unalloyed happiness.  I accepted this for some time; but later, when I started to experience the Mysteries as real events, in which I was involved, I began to feel a sense of grief and loss, in the midst of joy, when reflecting on Christ's Ascension into Heaven.  It still hits me on every Feast of the Ascension, that sensation of being bereft, and in fact I shed tears at the thought of it.  It makes me wonder how the Apostles felt:  wrapt in the glory of it, surely, and yet with breaking hearts because in all the remaining years of their lives they would see Him no more.

It was some years later that I began to experience something of the same feeling when meditating on the Mystery of the Assumption of Our Lady.  The disciples must have loved her so much, both for herself and as the Mother of the dear Lord. The things they must have learnt from her! And what sorrow they must have felt when her life came to its end.  It is hard to find appropriate words when speculating on the effect upon them of the astonishing sequel.  All I can think of is that it would have been so overwhelming that it dried their tears instantly, and that their sorrow was transformed into awe.

The Resurrection
“He is not here; for He has risen as He said.” (Matthew 27:6)
“Go quickly and tell His disciples.” (Matthew 27:7)
“Jesus came and stood among them.” (John 20:19)
“Put out your hand, and place it in My side.” (John 20:27)

The Ascension
“I go to prepare a place for you.” (John 14:2-3)
“If I do not go away, the Counsellor will not come to you.” (John 16:7)
“While He blessed them, He parted from them …”
“… and was carried up into heaven.” (Luke 24:51)

The Coming of the Holy Spirit
“I will send Him to you.” (John 16:7)
“All He tells you will be taken from what is Mine.” (John 16:15)
“He will guide you into all the truth.” (John 16:13)
“I will pour out My Spirit; and they shall prophesy.” (Acts 2:18, after Joel 2:28)

The Assumption of Our Lady
Mary’s earthly life is at an end.
Body and soul, she is taken to heaven ... (Pius XII: Munificentissimus Deus, and Holy Tradition)
... and is with her Son once more.
“Blessed be her glorious Assumption.” (The Divine Praises)

The Coronation of Our Lady in Heaven
“Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy!” (Salve Regina)
The glory of the Saints.
Our friends in heaven.
Eternal joy.

No comments: