Thursday 3 January 2013

Meditating on the Sorrowful Mysteries


Here is my selection of points for meditation when I pray the Sorrowful Mysteries.

It was surprisingly hard to find four directly relevant Gospel texts for The Scourging at the Pillar and The Crowning with Thorns.  I approached the problem by including texts that illustrate the dreadful scenes in which these Mysteries are set.  When I reflect on them, I am very much aware of the fast-moving sequence of events leading to the Crucifixion. 

The Agony in the Garden
“Father, if You are willing, remove this chalice.” (Luke 22:42)
“Not My will, but Yours, be done.” (Luke 22:42)
He finds the disciples “sleeping from sorrow.” (Luke 22:45)
“See, My betrayer is at hand.” (Matthew 26:46)

The Scourging at the Pillar
“The man has done nothing that deserves death.” (Luke 22:15)
“I shall have Him flogged and then let Him go.” (Luke 22:16)
“If you release Him, you are not Caesar’s friend!” (John 19:12)
Jesus is then scourged and mocked. (John 19:1-3)

The Crowning with Thorns
Wearing His crown, Jesus is presented to the priests. (John 19:14)
“Do you want me to crucify your King?” (John 19:15)
“We have no king but Caesar!” (John 19:16)
“I am innocent of this righteous man’s blood.” (Matthew 27:24)

The Carrying of the Cross
“He went out, bearing His own Cross.” (John 19:17)
Simon of Cyrene is forced to carry it for Him. (Matthew 27:32)
“There followed Him a great multitude of the people ...”
“ … and of women who bewailed and lamented Him.” (Luke 23:27)

The Crucifixion
He gave His life “as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:28)
“The Lamb of God, Who takes away the sin of the World.” (John 1:29)
“Not a bone of Him shall be broken.” (John 19:36; Exodus 12:46; Numbers 9:12; Psalm 34:20)
“They will look on Him Whom they have pierced.” (John 19:37; Zechariah 12:10)

No comments: