Tuesday 1 January 2013

Meditating on the Luminous Mysteries

A very happy new year to all my readers.  And a wish for stout hearts for those of us in the United Kingdom, for whom, given the present government's attitudes and plans, there may be trouble ahead ...

Following on from yesterday's post about the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary, here is my selection of mini-texts for praying the Luminous Mysteries.  I have been reluctant to include these Mysteries in my Rosary prayers up to now, but the exercise of gathering the points for meditation has been a great help; I have warmed to them, and now feel comfortable in praying them. 

The biggest challenge, I found, was to try to home in on the essence of "The Proclamation of the Kingdom".  Of all the Luminous Mysteries, this one has caused me the most difficulty in the past.  The Lord proclaimed the Kingdom in so many ways: the Parables, the Sermon on the Mount, the various miracles.  What could I actually focus on?  What could be said to be the nub of it, for the purpose of prayer and meditation?  At least, for me personally.  We all have our own ideas, and I decided to concentrate on the ones here; but they're not set in stone, and I may change them as time goes on.

The decision to keep to five lines for each Mystery (with each group of five repeated to accompany the ten Hail Marys) was somewhat forced on me by the simple fact that I could not find nine suitable texts (plus the title) for each of the twenty Mysteries.  I think this solution is a good practical one.

The Baptism by John in the Jordan
“Behold the Lamb of God!” (John 1: 29 & 36)
“I should be baptised by You, and You come to me?” (Matthew 3:14)
"This is My beloved Son.” (Matthew 3:17)
“Elijah has come, and they did not know him.” (Matthew 17:12)

The Wedding Feast at Cana
“They have no wine.” (John 2:3)
“My hour has not yet come.” (John 2:4)
“Do whatever He tells you.” (John 2:5)
“You have kept the good wine till now!” (John 2:10)

The Proclamation of the Kingdom
“Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (Matthew 4:17)
“They shall all be taught by God.” (John 6:45, after Isaiah 54:13)
“Who can forgive sins but God alone?” (Mark 2:7)
“Upon this Rock I will build My Church.” (Matthew 16:18)

The Transfiguration
“We were with Him on the holy mountain.” (2 Peter 1:18)
“He was transformed in their presence.” (Matthew 17:2)
Moses and Elijah “appeared in glory …”
“… and spoke of His exodus which He was to accomplish.” (Luke 9:31)

The Institution of the Eucharist
“The bread I shall give for the life of the world is My flesh.” (John 6:51)
“Take, eat; this is My Body.” (Matthew 26:26)
“This chalice which is poured out for you …”
“… is the new covenant in My blood.” (Luke 22:20)

No comments: